Friday, January 25, 2008

Life in the slow lane




Maybe it’s just the wet and wintery weather this week, maybe it’s the wind down from the whirlwind of the holidays, but today seemed incredibly slow and boring for a Friday. Don’t get me wrong, spending time with the kids is great & Pallas is getting really interesting with all the new things she’s trying out, but from an adult standpoint, I’m starting to think I should get out more -

Here are some highlights from my day this Friday:

*I spent 20 minutes in the grocery store deciding which type of bird food to put in the outdoor feeder (they burn through about 5lbs. Per week!) and finally decided to buy several bags and mix my own special blend. (In case you’re wondering I settled on pet grade parakeet feed, since we have 6 or 7 wild parakeets out there daily - and it was basically the same as the deluxe songbird food, but with more dried fruits and veggies -I figured they could use a winter treat - and to that I mixed in the black sunflower seeds that all birds seem to enjoy). - I don’t even like birds that much, and here I am mixing my own bird food blend??? How did this happen!?!

*I checked my email - the 2 most interesting things there?- someone sent me the following list (I have no idea why)
57 Things to Do with Socks -

1. roll and toss into drawers
2. Make a puppet
3. have a sock fight
4. put on hand and dust things
5. fill with beans, tie and play catch
6. pretend it is a baby, cat, dog, etc.
7. make dirty with a range of items (dirt, jelly, etc)
8. Wash it
9. make holes in it
10. draw on it
11. put bows on it
12. play catch
13. play football
14. stuff it with different materials and then walk on them
15. build with them
16. do an assembly line of passing them along
17. hang them on trees
18. hang them on drawings as part of the pictures
19. throw them into pools
20. throw them into different piles of dirt
21. go on a treasure hunt for them
22. put them on your hands and then eat
23. make hats out of them
24. Play catch with a sock ball.
25. paint them
26. make a sock rope by tying them together and then tug a war
27. cover them with peanut butter and seeds and hang them on treesas bird feeders
28. use them as shovels when they are on your hands
29. make a tail out of socks
30. Put socks on stuffed animals feet.
31. Buy socks with characters on them and create a sock story.
32. Make a sock book of colors
33. Make a sock dress for a doll
34. make sock ornaments for next years Christmas tree
35. try to put little socks on big feet
36. make a wind-sock
37. wear daddy's socks on little feet
38.cut off the toes and make "sleeves" and play "long sleeve/shortsleeve"
39.fill them up with stuff and play "how many ________'s fit intothis sock" compare things like ping pong balls, tennis balls, marbles,etc.
40.fill them with ice cubes and use for when the kids get hurt as aBOO Buddy.
41.tie a string to them to make a "nose warmer" for cold weather
42.tie them on your head with string--for bunny/dog ears
43.fill them up with different spices--for sachets or just for smelling
44.hide things in them---ala "mystery box"--feel them without looking, and guess what's inside
45.fill up a sock with another sock that is rubbed in menthol ruband give to a family member who has a cold--wear around neck withattached string
46.sock quilt
47.darn sock holes
48.fill them with different liquids to see how fast they drip thru
49.Take tiny baby socks, stuffed them with cat nip, and sew them shut. Give them to all the family pets.
50.Ball them up and have a snow ball fight.
51.Hide smelly things in them and guess what is inside withoutlooking.
52 Hide things with texture inside and guess by feel.
53. wear on wrong body parts
54. Bowling with sock balls
55. Hackey Sack sock ball
56.see how many socks you can put on one foot
57.put them on and slide across the floor


AND This:

Auntie Anne's® celebrates its 20th Birthday with Free Pretzel Day -- February 2nd!
Auntie Anne's is turning 20! To kick-off its 20th birthday celebration, Auntie Anne's is hosting a Free Pretzel Day on February 2nd at stores nationwide! Stop by your local Auntie Anne's on February 2nd between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. to try one complimentary Original or Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel -- no strings attached. That's right; enjoy a free delicious, mouth-watering, freshly baked Auntie Anne's Pretzel.

-Granted, this one is actually exciting (I love giant soft pretzels, and I love free!), but the part that concerns me is that I had no idea there was and Auntie Anne’s in our mall - it’s been that long since I’ve been to the mall and looked anywhere but the Build-A-Bear or any store with escalators.

Maybe I need to check out what movies are playing and go have an adult moment, if only I could trust myself not to fall asleep sitting someplace dark for over an hour! -I wonder, is this why old people don't like to go to the movies?


Psst! Hey Tammy...
Daisypath Wedding PicDaisypathWedding Ticker

6 comments:

Jen said...

Yup, I think custom bird seed mixing is definitely the line beyond which you need some adult time. For me, it was when I left the baby with Gavin to run out to the pharmacy for a prescription, and in the car on the way I started to feel lightheaded from being OUT.

Anonymous said...

TOO BAD! TOO BAD!

Anonymous said...

OOPS!

Anonymous said...

Try again.

Anonymous said...

Please post your comment again, Jen.

Anonymous said...

Be sure to use the correct letters and numbers so I can send you a comment, ok?